WHO’S PLAYING? Travis Meadows
WHAT TO EXPECT? Travis Meadows is a heartbreaking story and an inspirational one all wrapped together. Meadows beat cancer (losing most of one leg in the process) and started his long battle with alcoholism before his 20th birthday. Turning to music wasn’t the rest of the story either. He traveled for several years making Christian music and preaching all over the world.
After not finding the answers he was looking for preaching he started looking in the bottom of a bottle in a war that took him through rehab 4 times before it finally stuck in 2010. He then wrote the heartbreaking album “Killin’ Uncle Buzzy” based on his experiences in rehab and his career finally found traction. The album got his foot in the door for several huge acts that recognized his songwriting chops. This list includes Jake Owen, Blackberry Smoke, Eric Church, Hank Williams Jr, Wynonna Judd and even Lynyrd Skynyrd. Upon writing songs for these big name acts he is embarking on his first ever label backed album release and tour at age 52 with the first date being in Kansas City on January 25th, 2018.
Just because he is now “backed” by a label doesn’t mean he’s new to the touring life. Over the last two years alone he has strewn dates all over the east coast to The Midwest, occasionally hitting Texas and working over to California a couple times. So his latest record titled “First Cigarette” not only contains some of his most accomplished work yet but songs that are repeatedly road tested.
WHERE IS IT? Knucklehead’s Saloon (2719 Rochester Street, Kansas City, MO)
WHEN IS IT? Thursday, January 25th 2018; 7:00 PM, $10
Here is a link to buy your tickets right NOW.
WHY SHOULD I GO?
- Tickets are $10… that’s pretty much the price of a meal
- Meadows deserves the attention after all these years, who says your career can’t peak after 50 years old
- His new record “First Cigarette” not only was recently released in October but even charted in the US Heat and US Indie Billboard categories
- Look at that album cover, isn’t that endlessly interesting?
- It’s a Thursday night in January, what else do you have going on? Maybe take Friday off and make it a 3 day weekend
- Knuckleheads is a honky tonk haven, the place oozes honky tonk from the classic pictures and posters on the wall to the train tracks not 25 feet from the venue
- This is Meadows’ first show in Kansas City in a long time if not ever
- It will be the official start of his tour supporting the new record
- He will be selling the album at the show, be the first on your block to own it
You should RSVP on facebook to the event so you don’t forget, here is the link: FACEBOOK EVENT PAGE