WHO’S PLAYING? Jenny Lewis (of Rilo Kiley) (Los Angeles, CA) & The Cactus Blossoms (Minneapolis, MN)
WHAT TO EXPECT? Heart melting pop perfection and sweet rootsy country
Jenny Lewis is a lot of things, sure she has been in movies and on TV but now she is quickly climbing the ranks of career credibility in the music world. With her well established band Rilo Kiley she made quite the dent with several fantastic album becoming a princess in the indie rock scene. She is now spreading her wings as a solo artist. With three albums under her belt (along with an addition album under the name Jenny & Johnny) she has crafted another layer to her career.
If her previous 2018 tour dates are any indication a fourth solo record can’t be far off. Her setlists have included a group of new songs that can almost certainly be linked to a new record. She also hits some Rilo Kiley tunes during her set as well as a heavy dose of song off her beloved debut record “Rabbit Fur Coat.”
Jenny Lewis sounds like: Lucinda Williams, Stevie Nicks and the last voice you want to hear before you go to bed.
The Cactus Blossoms bring their blend of time warp country harmonies to Kansas City to open for Jenny Lewis and what a great pairing. The Cactus Blossoms have a waltzy old school vibe that will relax and tantalize the audience before the headliner and likely win over droves of new fans for the Minneapolis duo. Expect a relaxed set with plenty of audience swaying and an attentive crowd. For a band of this ire there may not be a much better town than Kansas City for them to spread their smooth country songs.
The Cactus Blossoms sound like: The Everly Brothers, The Louvin Brothers and harmonies in a dark whiskey soaked bar, likely with a mechanical bull in it.
WHERE IS IT? The Truman (601 East Truman Road KCMO)
WHEN IS IT? Tuesday, July 10th 2018; 8:00 PM, $28.50
Here is a link to buy your tickets right NOW.
WHY SHOULD I GO?
- Lewis is continuing her stellar run a great albums and singing song from all her recent records
- Have you seen Jenny Lewis? Wowza!
- Her shows are notoriously high energy and entrancing
- Lewis will be slinging tunes off of what is certain to be a new album
- The Truman is one of Kansas City most exciting new venues
- it’s a Tuesday, what else do you have to do? Keep in mind you have a DVR
- Tickets are under $30… that isn’t bad for such a big show
- The Cactus Blossoms are a great opener, some old school country on a Tuesday
- You’ll get to see two groups at the peak of their relevancy, there’ll never be a better time
You should RSVP on facebook to the event so you don’t forget, here is the link: FACEBOOK EVENT PAGE