WHO’S PLAYING? Under The Big Oak Tree (and guests) (St. Joseph, MO)
WHAT TO EXPECT? Billed as “Autumn Spirits & Spice” this is a very unique, one of a kind concert will feature songs related to the fall. The event will be part of the First Saturdays celebration in Downtown St. Joseph, Missouri.
Under The Big Oak Tree are a local traditional bluegrass band. Their brilliant musicianship has impressed crowds over the last couple years while supporting their self-titled debut album and their latest release “Local Honey.” The 3 piece group features the sweet vocal stylings on Kristin Hamilton who also plays acoustic guitar, stand-up bass player Doug “Sluggo” Ward and multi-instrumentalist Simon Fink.
Special guest Lory Lacy is scheduled to help out the hosting group with a couple songs as well. She is a flutist and classically trained vocalist that should add a lot of variance to the performance.
Under The Big Oak Tree sounds like: traditional bluegrass, music you would hear on a Victrola, your bare feet in the July grass
WHERE IS IT? The Paradox Theatre, 107 S. 6th Street, St. Joseph, MO 64501
WHEN IS IT? Saturday, October 1st, 2016; 2:00pm, FREE to all ages
WHY SHOULD I GO?
- It’s a family friendly event, no babysitter required
- It’s at Paradox, they have a pretty good coffee shop too
- It’s short, at likely under an hour it should be over before the kids even lose their patience
- It’s a FREE show, it’s hard to beat FREE family entertainment
- This is the first of three installments of the “Handpicked” series, to see them all you have to attend this one
- It’s a classy event put on by really good people
- There’s a SECOND show at the Tiger’s Den just a block away right after at 3:30 from the rustic roots band Like Rabbits out of Kansas City
- On a Saturday afternoon it shouldn’t conflict with many other plans, it can be a small part of a busy day
You should RSVP on facebook to the event so you don’t forget, here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/events/534680406727016/