WHO’S PLAYING? William Elliott Whitmore (Lee County, Iowa) Raye Zaragoza (New York City)
WHAT TO EXPECT? Roots to the core; honesty, compassion and two acoustic songwriters fighting for what they believe.
Everyone knows William Elliott Whitmore hails from Lee County, Iowa. In Lee County they care about the dirt, pride, moonshine and respect among other things. Whitmore pushes all of these agendas in his songs, not because he’s trying to change anybody’s mind, it’s simply because he sings about what he cares about. His career has been filled with albums about his farm and his life mostly stripped down to acoustic guitar or banjo accompaniment only. His latest release (and first for killer record label Bloodshot) is a collection of cover songs that have influenced Whitmore. Among the artists covered are Johnny Cash, Bill Withers and even punk legends Bad Religion. He’ll likely be mixing in a few covers from that effort along with his massive catalog of his own songs.
William Elliott Whitmore sounds like: Howlin’ Wolf, Waylon Jennings and the music you hear about your fifth pull from the jug.
When it comes to Raye Zaragoza you’ll encounter a great compliment to Whitmore in some ways and the opposite in others. Whitmore prides himself on his gruff sound while Zaragoza’s songs are really beautifully constructed and gentle on the ears. Don’t think it’s all fluff though, she has powerful messages hidden behind her siren voice. As a quiet, acoustic performer
Raye Zaragoza sounds like: Hurray For the Riff Raff, Paul Simon and dropping the needle on a record with a glass of wine.
WHERE IS IT? The Record Bar (1520 Grand Blvd, Kansas City, MO)
WHEN IS IT? Tuesday, December 13th, 2018 7:00 PM doors, $15, 18+
Here is a link to buy your tickets right NOW.
WHY SHOULD I GO?
- Tickets are $15… yeah, just $15
- Whitmore always puts on an intense show
- You’ll feel like part of something if you go, it’s an event, not just a concert
- Raye Zaragoza is a sweet voiced siren with a steel trap idealistic heart
- Both Whitmore and Zaragoza have records they will be selling
- The Record Bar is a pretty pimpin’ place in it’s new location
- The Record Bar has some nice beer waiting for you, they also serve food
- Whitmore is libel to pull out almost any song from his catalog
- Both artists will have some cool shirts to pick up too, be the first on your block to own one.
You should RSVP on facebook to the event so you don’t forget, here is the link: FACEBOOK EVENT PAGE